Perusing through Instagram I was stopped short by the photo above. Sometimes I berate myself for scrolling through social media when I could be doing other, more useful things. But how would I stumble upon gems like this? I was instantly intrigued. Elizabeth Gilbert has the secret knowledge of how to be a successful writer (and in ten easy steps!). Success and ease are not guaranteed but she does share some ideas that work.
- Tell your story to 1 person using your own voice.
- Start at the beginng and tell the whole story.
- Use simple sentences.
- Don’t worry if it’s good, just finish.
- Don’t write to change anyone’s life.
- Tell stories instead of explaining stuff.
- It doesn’t have to be a particular length or geared to a specific audience.
- You have been doing research your whole life just by existing- use it.
- Day after day, keep going.
- Be willing to let it be easy.
I’ve chopped her advice into tiny nuggets here so if you want to read it in her own words, take a meander over to Instagram. She’s a voice I find inspirational to follow.