3, 2, 1 Go! I don’t have much time but I do have 10 minutes before I have to leave for Job Club so I thought I’d put some thoughts together before I lose out on the opportunity to write altogether. You know how it goes, once the day gets into full swing, it’s hard to carve out a few minutes to write which is something I want to do every day.
One of the best things about my week away at the yoga retreat (which I have yet to fully blog about) was the 30 minutes we spent each morning journaling and meditating. I have tried many times to meditate but it’s hard to make it a daily habit. Coming home I thought it would be easy just to carry on what I had been doing but once I was home I was uninspired by my meditation surroundings (where was the beautiful scenery and Aegean Sea?!) and couldn’t find a place to get comfortable. I ordered a meditation pillow and decided to just get started.
There are a couple of Apps to help guide meditation and I need guidance (at least to begin). Right now I am trying out Headspace and have found the few meditations I’ve done to be really good. Today’s meditation was “quiet mind” and as in many other meditations you must focus on the breathe. In and out. In and out. I learned at the retreat that I’m not actually breathing properly so now I have that on my list of things to do: learn to breathe.
After you do a few deep breathes and close your eyes, you focus on how your body is feeling. And then there is the quiet mind. Gentle, regular breathing. Simply count them. One on the in breath and two on the out. Keep counting like this to 10 and restart. It reminds you to return your focus to counting your breaths if your mind wanders. And my mind wanders!
Today during meditation I thought about many things:
- Should I return a call from a wrong number who thought they were reaching someone to talk about veganism? They left a message they got my name on a board about sustainable veganism and wanted to hear about my experience. Not me but should I call them?
- I should call and make an appointment for a massage next week.
- I wonder if I really should have applied to that job I just sent a resume to.
- How much time is left in this meditation?
- What should I make for dinner tonight?
- Oh, God. Breathing. Breathing.
Do you meditate?